The Work has just gotten sweeter!

The Work has just gotten sweeter!
Espirito Santo, Brasil

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

I love finding families to teach

Hola Familia!

The Spanish Sisters of the mission
So this week has been a lot better. We are working with a lot more people and that keeps us busy. Our white board is filled with names and plans on how we are going to help these people overcome their concerns that they have. 

Thank you so much for your emails. I can't believe that school has already started! Guess what? When everyone gets out of school, it will be one month until I am home! WHAT?.... So try not to make the time go by too fast, ok? work hard in school and take advantage of EVERY opportunity to challenge yourself. I remember that when I took all those AP classes, it was super hard, and I was also working....but that time was so fulfilling. Now that I am constantly moving or doing something, my time is even MORE fulfilling. The time also goes by a lot faster as well. 

Jenna: are you still alive? I haven't heard from you and what you are doing! EMAIL ME!!!
Samantha: Junior year, huh? LIVE IT UP!!! You will be graduating from high school before you know it.
Veronica: How is it being a freshman? What classes are you taking? Say Hi to Mr. Smith for me, ok? I still can't believe you are in high school now, please stop growing, ok?
Shonna: YAY!!! VOLLEYBALL!! You can do it, good luck with try-outs. Just do your best and always work your hardest. Who are the coaches? I play volleyball with the branch every friday night when we have our investigator there and it is so much fun! I play in my flats and skirt but somehow I am able to still hit the ball and tip it and they are actually really good. I love it so much and it reminds me of how much I love and miss playing volleyball.
Lydia: Thank you so much for your pictures! I LOVED THEM!! You are such a great artist. There is a girl who is just like you in the branch and she is 9 and in 4th grade too! She has glasses and reminds me so much of you :)

Dad: I think every member tells us about the missionaries who died. It makes me so sad. Obedience truly keeps us safe. the rules and commandments don't bind us, but they really keep us free. I loved the quote you sent me from Megan's letter. That is so true. We gave a family night on the importance of reading our scriptures, praying, and going to church. Doing these three things will build our testimony, and therefore, our desires to be active in the church will be because we know that this church is true and that this is what God wants us to do. We have been reading in the Book of Mormon in Alma and Alma always talks about the people who harden their hearts after having all the truth. and how do these people get to this point? They stopped praying to God continually for protection against temptation. It has been pretty interesting. MY love for and my testimony of the Book of Mormon has grown so much. It is true, it is the evidence of the truthfulness of the Gospel. Also, thank you for your letter. Sorry that I suck at writing letters. Maybe someday I will write a letter to you in Spanish :)

Mom: Wow, stop making me cry! I am so determined to go to the sealings of the Roman and Perez family  before I go home. That is my goal and it made me so happy to read of this beautiful experience with Aunt Stephanie and her family. I love and miss the temple so much. Sometimes I feel homesick for the temple, it is the weirdest feeling. Can you please go to the temple for me this week? and I am looking forward to your letter and I will try to write to you today :) I had no idea you were in Utah at the airport. You were so close! But you are always close, mom. I think about you all the time and how much I love you :)

We are teaching a woman named Maria. She currently isn't on date but her and her husband are getting married this Saturday at 4 in our chapel. They are really excited, they have been waiting for 26 years to do this. They have 6 kids!!! We taught her last night and she told us that she knows that our church is true and that everything that we teach is true, the only problem is that her dad is SUPER catholic and she is the oldest and he has a lot of trust in her. She said that if she changed religions, she would break his heart and she doesn't want to do that. So, she is kind of the pioneer in the family. And to resolve her concern, we read Alma 20 with her and it was so powerful. We all felt the Spirit and it was amazing to me how much that story applied to her situation. Moroni probably had NO idea that this story would help people overcome their family concerns! That just shows how powerful the scriptures are when we follow and teach by the spirit and when we also PLAN for our investigators and their concerns. She didn't accept a date but she is definitely more open and said she will pray and ask God if she should be baptized on September 27. It was an amazing experience. She is a great lady and she has so much potential.

Alonso is preparing for baptism for the 13th of September. Lets just say he is interesting and I will talk to you more about him after my mission :)

Guess what happened on Sunday? All 3 people who were supposed to give talks all bailed that morning so guess who got to give the talks? THE MISSIONARIES!! They told us an hour before Sacrament meeting, our Sacrament is last ( which is really weird by the way) and so we had to get our talks together while trying to pick up investigators. I talked about how if we understand WHO the Savior is, we will become closer to him because we will know why he is so important. I got up there, nothing written and only a few scriptures in my mind and I gave a 10 minute talk in Spanish with nothing written down. Talk about the gift of tongues!! That is so real! I wasn't nervous, I could say everything that I wanted to in Spanish and I was right on time and it went so smoothly. I was praying like CRAZY before but God wants us to OPEN our mouths first before he puts the words in. Sometimes we wait for the words to be in our minds before we open but it doesn't work like that. We have to open and show our faith that the words will come. 

So my Spanish is improving! I can communicate and I can understand almost everything. I remember when I couldn't understand a thing and I would cry and cry because I wanted to help resolve our investigator's concerns but I had no idea what they were saying. Now I can understand and help my investigators and I just feel so grateful for Heavenly Father's help and I know that if we have patience, everything will work out.

Scripture Power!!
​I was humbled this week by my Sister Training Leader. I realized that I haven't been fighting as hard for my investigators as I should have. Sometimes we need to be humbled and it sucks to go through it but if we really let the humility work in us, we can come out a better person. It all depends on your attitude though.

So Saturday was a special day. It was the year mark since I opened my mission call! Can you believe it? It has been a year since that day!

I love you all so much! I had a dream with all of you in it and I don't know what I was doing but I was looking through some glass and on the other side of the glass, Jenna, Mom and Lydia were there. They were waving at me and Mom was crying and waving and then I walked into another room and the whole family was there setting up for something. I realized that I miss my family but that I should enjoy this time that I have to help other families! Just know that I think about you all and pray for you:) ENJOY getting up at 6:30 for scriptures... hehehehe....mission PREP!

I love letters so write me. I will do my best to write back. We can only write letters on P-days so it might take a while but I will always write back. Have a great week!! 

Se que el evangelio de Jesucristo bendice a las familias! Esto es mi principio favorito :)

SLY!
Hermana Warren​
​These pictures are from our Brighton conference, all the Spanish sisters​

No comments:

Post a Comment